Tuesday, November 22, 2016

How did my supervisor initiates my thinking?

Almost two months here, lots of things I learnt. For this entry, I love to share how Paul did to initiate my thinking and built my confidence at the beginning of my PhD. I wish to use these approaches when I deal with my students in the future. I can say that I'm so lucky to get supervisor like Paul, really understanding, friendly, and I felt so free and happy to talk with him.

1. His smiling face, make me calm
Whenever I meet him, he always greets me with his smiling face.

2. He start to iniatiate my thinking with what I can do.
I still remember, I came to see him for weekly progress meeting. I told him that I already able to do this and that... He said that was good and keep up the good work. The next meeting, he asked me the principles behind all the things that I was already able to do by myself. I can only answered a few questions and I was really sad. He said to me, when I did any measurement, try to think of why I'm doing that? How can it relates to my PhD? A week later, I came to see him and explain all the unanswered questions. Starting from that point, I start to thinks the purpose of my doing. :)

3. He never said you are wrong directly
If I did wrong, he will always start with; great, good work, good, you almost there. Then only he will explain to me the real answer. By doing that, he actually makes me feel acceptable and initiates me to do better in the future.

4. During my presentation, he will look at me, smiling and I can see the encouragement from his face.
He really appreciates my comment/suggestion/opinion even though it is very simple and sometimes not helping at all. - I become more confident to talk and giving opinions. It also develops my thinking to think further and deeper on one issue.




1 comment:

  1. assalamualaikum, saya azma . saya akan ke London april ini, puan ada any contact yg boleh jadi tour guide sekitar London pada 4/4? nanti mohon email saya kalau ada ya.. tq
    azma4378@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete